Monday, April 9, 2012
Each Little Bird That Sings
We began chapter 19 of our "read aloud" book today. I'm going to work really hard to get it finished by the end of next week, because there's another really good one I want to fit in before the school year ends. The book we are reading is above the independent reading level of most of the students in our class. It is a book FULL of rich vocabulary! That's why it's so important to continue to read aloud to children even when they know how to read. It's funny sometimes when a word is so common to you, and then you learn that our kids don't know what it means. That's what I love about our "read aloud" books. Here is a great piece of info that I ran across that you may find interesting. "The single most important activity for building the knowledge required for eventual success in reading is reading aloud to children." Wow, that's a pretty powerful tidbit of information. Anyway, here are two words today that we discussed: mingle, seethed. Ask your child if he/she remembers what these words mean!
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

No comments:
Post a Comment